- UMOJA (Unity) - To strive for and maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race.
- KUJICHAGULIA (Self-determination) - To define ourselves, name ourselves, and speak for ourselves instead of being defined and spoken for by others.
- UJIMA (Collective Work and Responsibility) - To build and maintain our community together and make our sister's and brother's problems our problems and to solve them together.
- UJAMAA (Cooperative Economics) - To build and maintain our own stores, shops, and other businesses and to profit from them together.
- NIA (Purpose) - To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.
- KUUMBA (Creativity) - To do always as much as we can, in the way that we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.
- IMANI (Faith) - To believe with all our hearts and minds in our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders, and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.
Other principles are:
- UPENDO (Love)
- KUJINITHAMU (Self-discipline)
- KUJITEGEMEA (Self-reliance)
by Maulana Karenga, 1965